As I walked little Reagan this morning, I had to wear a sweatshirt because fall has sort of come. It still could be 80 today, but the cool mornings and drinking tea at any given point in the day reminds me that we're coming closer to the November election.
I generally try to keep my political views to myself, partly to avoid conflict but also because I understand that my stance and arguments often won't convince some one to change his or her vote or political affiliation. However, my most recent reading has been politics-centered, and I've definitely seen enough political commentary (some worthy of reading, some based solely on ignorance or blindness) in people's Facebook status posts and comments to want to follow-up and comment.
I find myself frustrated with the number of people basing their vote or political stance mainly on their special interests. While I have strong convictions about many of the mainstream political issues (and yes, they are important), I can put those aside to look at our enormous and growing national debt. I'm going to ignore whatever argument places the blame (either side, I don't care) because it matters little. Looking at the $15 trillion + and seeing it raise to possibly $20 trillion given our current spending trends, Mr. D'Souza writes the following (which isn't meant to infuriate, but to bring home the seriousness of it):
"For the first time in American history, children [will] grow up and be worse off than their parents...They [will be] saddled with $20 trillion in debt with no benefits to show for it, and this is money they will have to pay back."
And one more thought. As a pastor leaving his post once warned his congregation, our generation is much too attached to personalities, and we must be cautious about this. When one commits to military service, we are actually committing ourselves to the support and defense of the Constitution, not the country's current leader, because the person in office changes, because humans are flawed, and because our nation was built on something more lasting and dependable.
So Happy Autumn and Happy Election Season. And we continue to pray for America, for her leaders, and for her future leaders. Ultimately, God is in control, which means His will is done no matter what the outcome is; and His will is good.
No comments:
Post a Comment