Thursday, July 7, 2011

An Entertainment Oops.

We've all done it, if not more than once.  Everybody wants to go see a certain movie, so you join in on the hype (even if not enthusiastically) and go as a big group to the big show, partly to see the movie but also to join in on the sense of camaraderie.  And then you realize you've made a poor entertainment choice when you can't stop cringing or being appalled that anyone would be so bold as to put such crude material on the movie screen.

Perhaps I'm old school, naive, or my sense of etiquette and decorum haven't been updated since I was ten, but I was quite upset at myself for sitting the entire way through Bridesmaids.

Some of you are saying "you should've known" after seeing the poster or realizing what else the producers had made.  I can't make an excuse for myself; the trailer looked relatively humorous.  If you've already realized this is going to be a small rant on society and a bit of a movie review, you can skip reading if you'd like because you won't miss much.  But if you're curious, here are a few tid-bits on this disaster.

First, I have a theory for you.  I was told this movie was a female version of "The Hangover" (a male-oriented comedy), only "worse."  It is a show in how females can out-do males in their masculine-type humor.  Why do they feel this is necessary?  It's like the female cop being the toughest and meanest on the squad.  It's about women trying to show-up men on things, be it humor or line of work, that usually have a male stereotype.  This movie went OVER the top to prove itself in its male-worthy disgustingness.

(Side-note, not all males enjoy male-humor.  Please know I don't mean to stereotype all men as the types who like bodily fluid, sex, and drinking (etc.) centered entertainment.)

Second, I dislike most movies on marriage and weddings because of the cultural implications that marriage weighs you down, is boring, and should be avoided until age 35+, once you've had all of the affairs and adventures you were sure you needed prior to imprisonment.  I will admit this movie doesn't go into the marriage aspect that much, for which I am thankful. 

Third, as my one friend who agreed that the movie was terrible complained of, the main character was a wreck.  There are people you feel for when they're a wreck, those who are out of luck or times have turned or are just struggling.  Then there are the people who can't get themselves onto their feet because they sit in a mud puddle, (by choice) and feel badly enough about themselves to make everyone around them have a miserable time at it as well.  And she's the heroine!  I guess I should quit my job (or try to get fired), go back to my parents, and make rude comments about how my car problems are some one else's fault, and I can be the wonderwoman of an entertainment plot!

I want to warn you that Bridesmaids is an over-the-top disgusting, morally agonizing "entertainment oops" of mine that you should avoid, even if you had the inkling to see just for fun.  Not even as a rental, not even if it's free.  And the hardest part is that many of my female counterparts out here...they said they couldn't stop laughing and thought "it was the best movie they'd ever seen."  I don't understand.  Your choices in entertainment do somewhat define you, or at least shape and inform you.  Remember that when you sit down to watch the next flick in your Netflix line-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment